In 1885 the town of Cannstatt, Germany, was surprised to see Paul Daimler, son of Gottlieb Daimler, roll away from the vehicle 14 Taubenheimstrasse two wooden-spoked wheels-supported by a small portion of the combustion engine horsepower four-cycle internal. That the motorcycle driven belt (actually four wheels like having two eight-inch diameter outrigger wheels to remain stable when at a standstill) was the forerunner of all the cars.
Gottlieb Daimler was the first to take advantage of the true success rate of the combustion engine into the vehicle. It was the predecessor of horseless vehicles for Daimler motorcycle but Daimler is the first to admit internal combustion vehicle and the first to incorporate a practical transmission system.
Shortly after Daimler applied for his combustion engine patent, Carl Benz Mannheim, Germany granted a German patent covering a three-wheel motorcycle car he built in 1844. This single cylinder, 3/4 hp, gasoline-fueled cars have a combination of belts, chains and gears to transmit power to the rear wheel rubber tired but no gear change was possible.
Daimler's first four-wheel, Victoria-type motor driven carriage, was built in 1866. In 1890 the demand for Daimler engine made expansion necessary and a corporation was formed, Daimler Motoren Gesellschaft. Daimler Motor Company or as it is known in English. Benz, with several associates formed another company, Benz & Company, in Mannheim.
Daimler resume automotive research and prior to his death in 1900 has been credited with the invention of such a honeycomb type radiator, carburetor float type; cylinder V-twin engine (as used in Harley-Davidson motorcycles present-day), low-voltage electrical ignition disconnected, four-cylinder engine; accelerator foot, and the motor and transmission in one integral part.
The first recorded auto race, sponsored by Petit-Journal of Paris in 1894 and carried out during the Paris program Rouen, attractive forty-six entries and look forward to it as a test of the steamer and electric versus gas burners. The first three winners of the car is powered by a Daimler-built. Since then Mercedes Daimler and later (after 1926) Mercedes-Benz is continuing to gain prestige through their high-speed performance.
A wealthy banker-sportsman Emil Jellinek Vienna is much impressed by the success of Daimler motorcycle racing competitions. He bought a controlling stake in Daimler's interest in the 1890's and put nearly unlimited funds at his disposal Gottlieb Daimler and two sons, Paul and Adolph. It was Jellinek who encouraged Daimler in his idea to create what was to become the most powerful car the day, a 35 hp monster.
Mercedes JellinekIn 1900 Daimler 4-cylinder has been completed and the car was christened in honor of Emil Jellinek's beautiful daughter, Mercedes. New cars direct sensation. From its bright front fender, rakish tilt column behind the steering wheel to the carburetor T-head twin cylinder and the type of construction, the Mercedes was pretty and do justice to its namesake.
Jellinek, Daimler factory controllers, and the father of the young woman for whom the 1900 luxury four-wheel vehicle is named, was so obsessed by his interest in high-speed car for nearly five 'years he held the exclusive rights to most of the Mercedes production and carefully restrict car sales -cars to known individual effects. Jellinek's own international reputation as a sportsman and a careful selection of the limited number of buyers available Mercedes cars with a client puts the bracket that, almost as much as the car itself superior intrinsic engineering and design, giving it a reputation as the Mercedes quality and high performance products.
If anyone has made a post-war visit to the famous Mercedes-Benz plant in Untertürkheim, Germany in October, 1945, people will have good reason to conclude that there are no new cars will come from this site for at least five years. The word "international" is used reservedly, for between 70 and 80 percent of the factory buildings have been destroyed by aerial bombardment and this same fate has overtaken most of the other plants in Sindelfingen and elsewhere. In addition, a large number of light machine tools have been scattered during the war in what became the French occupied zone of Germany. The raw material is practically non-existent and the technical staff plagued by de-Nazifying enactments are then enforced with the maximum severity. But in fact, just take a lng Dr, W. Haspel and O. Hoppe, and they co-directors about only three years to rebuild and retool factories and to introduce the first post-war model. In 1948, a new four-door sedan, which made overall in Sindelfingen, followed by the 2.3-liter car line 1939.